Thursday, January 24, 2013

Canoa de maduro

I am working to perfect this recipe. We first ate this at Fritanga, a great restaurant very close to work.  I think in general, this restaurant probably has very-close-to a Whole30 menu (but there's probably some hidden things that you should not eat!!).  OK-I googled recipes and immediately found that you're supposed to grill the plantains with butter and brown sugar-glad I've modified the recipe!!!!
The recipe is called Canoa de Maduro (translates into sweet plantain canoes).  I have modified it each time I make it, and it keeps getting better.  I have it now as a Whole30 recipe,  Here goes.....

The key to the plantains is to buy them when they are ripe.  There are two types of plantains in the stores (Try Jay International or Global Market).  You need the yellow ones.  If you buy green, they will not ripen over time.  Buy ones that are almost all black on the skin

I peeled and sliced them, then I fried them in coconut oil until they were crispy on each side.  Beware-at this point they are absolutely yummy.  They are sweet/savoury and a great substitute for candy!!!!!  Put the plantains in an oven-proof dish.
I topped the plantains with some pork that I made in the crock pot.  You could use chicken or beef if you like.  I added tomato sauce (Pomi in a box, I don't ever use canned tomatoes), 1 onion sliced, garlic, oregano, cumin, coriander and salt.  I added a pork tenderloin and cooked on low for 8 hours.  Then, I shredded the pork in the sauce and added to the plantains.  Then I cooked in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes.  When not on the Whole30, you can top with mozarella or chihuahua cheese.  It's really yummy

No comments:

Post a Comment