Friday, April 13, 2012

Day 4

It's Friday. The first Friday of my first Whole 30 filled me with dread. We always have pizza on Friday night and watch a Harry Potter movie. It's a ritual. It's sacred. Enough said.... I didn't have that feeling of dread this time and I had actually saved up a new recipe to try for dinner. I had my usual fare for breakfast and lunch-I am REALLY going to have to try to change it up a bit!!!!
I made Marie's salmon recipe for dinner.  OK, it's not strictly Whole 30.  In fact, it's a little dodgy even when thinking of paleo.  That's primarily because the recipe uses soy sauce and stem ginger that is stored in syrup.  Still, I had been looking forward to making this for ages, so just made it. 

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup syrup from ginger
2 tbsp Pad Thai sauce
Rind & juice from 2 limes
2 pieces of stem ginger.
chili sauce to taste.

Put all ingredients together and boil until reduced by 1/2.  Pour over salmon and bake at 350 for about 30 mins, uncovered.

Turned out great, never knew how well ginger and salmon went together.  Next time, I'll use the ginger and not the syrup.  I may need something to counteract the lime, so I might add some coconut palm sugar instead.  I will also try substituting coconut aminos for the soy.

I cooked some kale to go with the salmon.  Haven't made it before, but Leeny swears by it.  I fried it in some olive oil and a little chicken stock.  It was very good.
I also made a clafouti for dessert:  4 eggs, 1 can coconut milk, 1/2 cup coconut flour.  I added some pineapple that I had in the fridge and it turned out very well, although the pineapple made the clafouti more like pudding.  I think pineapple and coconut go together very well.
The day was full of temptations though.  Ben suggested going to Starbucks and Sam was hankering for Vito's pizza because we were at Chaiffetz arena for the Go! St. Louis Expo.  I held my ground and got through my first Friday with no problem at all.  Now, for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment